- This event has passed.
Dr. Setrag Manoukian’s Lecture (4/28)
2018年4月28日 @ 15:00 - 17:00
This post is also available in: 日本語
[Time and Date]
- 15:00-17:00 in 28 April 2018
◆Lecture Tittle：”Poetry as impersonal expression: the relationship between poetry and life in contemporary Iran”
Lecturer: Dr. Setrag Manoukian（McGill University, Canada）
- Abstract：By discussing my conversations with two Shirazi poets, I look at how in Iran normative expectations about poetry cultivated in contexts such as poetic gatherings, are turned into an existential ground, and reflect on how poetic and affective language are sublimated into each other. In different if not opposite ways the relationship that the two poets establish between their verses and their lives suggest that verses are supposed to embody the experiences of an affective subject and stand as its “true” and ultimate expression. Such expression however is not, as one would be prone to assume, the declination of a specific subjectivity, but rather a movement for undoing the tension between law and desire that is so pervasive in contemporary Iran, as possibly elsewhere.
- ［About Guest Lecturer］：
- Dr. Setrag Manoukian is an Italian anthropologist interested in knowledge and its relationship with power, understood both as existential and social force. His area of specialty is Iran. He holds a joint appointment at McGill University (Montreal, Canada) at the Institute of Islamic Studies and the Department of Anthropology, which he currently chairs. He is the author of City of Knowledge in Twentieth Century Iran: Shiraz, History, Poetry (Routledge 2012).
- English, Preregistration is not required
- [Inquiry] email@example.com
- Center for Modern Middle East Studies, National Museum of Ethnology
NIHU Area Studies Project for the Modern Middle East:ILCAA